MEXBOROUGH: A Brief History
For more than eight hundred years Mexborough remained a small agricultural community of less than four hundred inhabitants, who lived in the area around the Parish Church. None of the main roads connecting the principal towns of South Yorkshire came near to Mexborough. An ancient trackway from the north crossed the River Don at Mexborough Ferry and continued in a southerly direction towards Chesterfield. After the Norman Conquest a castle of the motte-and-B ail ey type was constructed to command this river crossing, and the earthworks still remain, at Castle Hills. (Sic).
In 1829 the canal reached Mexborough, followed twenty years later by the South Yorkshire Railway. Mexborough was now in direct communication by water and rail with Sheffield, Barnsley, doncaster, Goole and the sea. A boatyard was opened and here barges were built. Several sandstone quarries produced large quantities of building stone, much of which was exported. Huge deposits of clay were used in the manufacture of roofing tiles, drainpipes and earthenware.
In 1850 Thomas Barron and his partners set up the Don Glass Manufacturing Company at Mexborough. The works were extended six times before finally closing down in 1923.
From 1850 Mexborough was an important railway junction, where the line from Doncaster to Sheffield diverged from the line to Barnsley. A mainstream depot was established, and here locomotives were cleaned, serviced and repaired. The Don Ironworks manufactured railway wheels and axles.
In 1866 a large colliery was opened at Denaby Main on the eastern outskirts of the town, and this was followed four years later by the sinking of Manvers Main to the west. Houses were built for the thousands of mineworkers,railwaymen, glassblowers, potters, quarrymen and brickyard workers- who flocked into Mexborough in search of employment. The population rose from 401 in 1811 to 10,430 in 1901. Schools, churches, shops, offices and banks were built. 'The Prince of Wales' theatre provided entertainment on six nights every week and this was followed later by five cinemas.
Local stone was used for building until the new collieries began to provide abundant supplies of cheap coal for brick making. Welsh slates conveyed on the new railway, gradually replaced the local red tiles. Water was obtained from numerous wells. In 1875 the `Mexborough Water Works Co' was formed, to supply the town with piped water from a borehole near Pitt Street.
In 1861 the Common was enclosed. In the course of time a public park, an athletic ground, cemetery, hospital, three churches and seven schools were built upon it.
Gas for lighting was available in 1856, but the electricity works in Station Road did not come into operation until 1900.
This was a letter sent to Norman Watson on 25th May 1986 from `Olive & Arthur'. Most of it is self explanatory,
but a few questions are posed. Such as, Who did name Mr Watsons' grandfather and why? And, Who was 'Old
Nixon?' There's also the question: Who was John Dunk and what was he studying?
[Page cannot be OCRd so is in the form of PDF] Click here for pdf
This month we continue with the list was taken from a Trade Directory by our late President
Mr Norman Watson. Is your ancestor mentioned here? Can you remember some of the names?
Although Mr Watson wrote no date on his copy we believe it to be from around the beginning
of the last century, possibly 1902.
Board schoolmaster. 20 Helena Street.
Shopkeeper. 92 Doncaster Rd.
Currier William Thomas. Jeweller & Cycle manufacturer. 69 High Street.
Hairdresser. 43 Bank Street.
Dawson & Ellis.
Tailors & clothiers. 82 Bank St.
Tailor. 51 Schofield Street.
Dawson John S.
Farmer. 63 Market Street.
Dean John Thomas.
Vict. Ship Inn. 53 Church Street.
Grocer, ale & porter & wine & spirit merchant. 20 High Street.
Weighman. 17 Hirstgate.
Dixon William Fryer. Hairdresser. Main Street.
Boat hauler. 25 Church Street.
Joiner & builder. 90 Bank Street.
Foreman. 106 Doncaster Road.
Hardware dealer. 9 Hartley St.
Drabble James E. H.
Bank manager. Bank House.
Butcher. Main Street.
Chemists. 134 High Street & 52 Bank Street.
Carriage builder. The Farm, Church Street.
Manager. 18 Schofield Street.
Painter. 29 Dolcliffe Road.
Ellard Henry William.
Prof. of Music. 58 Dolcliffe Road.
Elliott Mrs Sarah Ann.
Plumber, glazier & ironmonger. 21 High Street.
Shopkeeper & beer ret. 40 Dolcliffe Road.
Hosiery knitter. 141a Market St.
Elvidge John T.
Newsagent & tobacconist. Main Street.
Emery Mr Peter.
English Edgar MD. M.R.C.S., D.P.H.
Surgeon. main Street.
Farmer Mrs Margaret Dressmaker. 53 Schofield St.
Firth John William.
Grocer. 112 Dolcliffe Road.
Insurance agent. Garden Street.
Greengrocer & confectioner. Main Street.
Fletcher Edwin (Jas. Clayton & Sons).
h. 75 High Street.
Hatter. 112 High Street.
Fletcher James Clayton& Sons Tailors & outfitters. 75 High St.
Hairdresser. 23a High Street.
Tailor. 20 Swinton Road.
108 Doncaster Road.
Gandy Mrs Louisa. Confectioner. Main Street.
Furniture dealer. 39 Swindon Rd.
Gilling Mrs Elizabeth.
Beer retailer. 57 James Street.
Glaseby Edwin Thomas.
Butcher. Main Street.
Huxley & Co. Lim. Chemists. 7 & 8 The Arcade, Main Street. Globe Tea Co. (Wallace's Lim. proprs).
26 High Street
Police Sergeant. 48 Hallgate.
WAR MEMORIAL: THEN AND NOW
Last months newsletter featured the beginnings of the War Memorial at Castle Hills, Mexborough, commemorating the many lives lost from this area during the First World War.
Now, 80 years on from that original unveiling, history, repeated itself once again, when on Sunday 18th August 2002, a crowd of more than 350 gathered for another unveiling. This time the names of 97 World War II victims, which had been formerly on a plaque, now join their comrades on the red granite monument.
Before the unveiling, which was done by Mexboroughs' champion charity runner, Tommy Joyce and the Civic Mayor of Doncaster, Colin. John Quinn, and dedicated by the Earl of Scarbrough, there was a march by the British Legion along Bank Street.
The Victims of War
HALL. F. HALLFORD. E.S.
HAIGH. J. HAKIN. G. HAKIN. H. HARE. W. HARGREAVES. A.HARRISON. J.W.HART. C. HEALD. H. HENSON. S.H. HEPWORTH. H. HICKLING. A. HIGGIN. G. HIGGINS. W. HILL. J.HINDS. J.H. HINTON. J. HOBSON. M. HODGSON. J.W. NOGGINS. E. HOLT. J. HORNSBY. E.S. HORTON. G. HOULBROOK.H.HOWLETT. T.H. HUMPHREY. T. JACKSON. A. JACKSON. A.W. JOHNSON. D. JOHNSON. H. JOHNSON. T. JONES.G.E. JONES.R.A. JOWETT. B. KERSHAW. W. KING. A.KING. T.LAKE. S. LAWTON. C. LEE. TW.LEVI. C.J. LEWIS. A. LOCKETT. J.H. LYNAM. L. LYONS. C.W. MARSDEN. C.V. MARSDEN. J.1914 - 1918 ADAMS .C.R. ADAMSON .J. ALLAN .T.ALLEN .T.F. ANDERSON .R.W.E. ANDREWS .A. ASHMORE .P. ASKIN .C.H. ATKIN.S A. ATKINSON .J. AUBREY. L.AXE .W.BAKER. A.E. BARLLY. R. BARRON. P. BARRON .T. BATTY. A.BAYES .E.A. BEDFORD. W.H. BEECH .W. BENNETT .J. BENTLEY. H. BERESFORD. D.C.BEST .J.BLUNT. F. BLYTHE .P. 800TH .C.E. POYNTON .J. BRAMHAM .H. BRIGGS. J. BRIGGS .W.H. BROOKES .C.L. BROOKS .J.H. BROOKS .W. BROWES .H. BRUMBY .J.H. BRYARS. C.L. BUCKNELL . A. BUNCALL .W. BURGAN. T.A. CAINE. L. CALLADINE. A. CALLADINE. E. CALLADINE. J. CALLADINE.L. CALLADINE. W. CARROL. R. CHARLESWORT H. A.CHARLESWORT H. H.CHIPP. W. CLARKE.C.V. CLIFF. J. CLOTHIER.A. CLOTHIER.E. CLOUGH.H. CLOBY. R. CONLON.P. CONWAY. C. COPE.A. CORBRIDGE.L. CROWCHOF T.A CROWSON.F. CURTIS.H. CUTTS.W. DAKIN.W. DAVIS.W. DAWSON.L. DEAN.C.H. DENHAM.A.E. DAVENPORT.H.L.DODDS.A. DODSON.J. DODSON.R. DOUGLAS.R. DRABBLE.W. DRURY.W. DRYDEN.H. DUNSTAN.C. DURHAM.A. DURHAM.W.A. DYSON.P. EARNSHAW.J.T. ELLIS.J.M. FALKINGHAM.H. FLETCHER FLINDERS.H. FOOT. H. FOSTER. G.H. FRUIN. H.S. GILL. H.GOODBODY. E. GRAHAM. M. GREEN. T.H. GREEN. R.H. GREENAWAY.V. HACKETT.W.V.C. HALDENBY.C.E.MAWSON. H.T. MEEK. G.E. MINCHIN. H.J. MONK. C. MORLEY. G.E. MORRIS. J.T. MORTON. E.C. MORTON. M.A. MOUNTFORD.L.MURRAY. D.B. NAYLOR.T. NETTLESH1P. F. NEWSY. H. NICHOLSON. J.A.NORMAN. C. O'BRIAN. W. OLBY. R. OLIVER.G.W. OVEREND. G. PARKER. H. PEARSON. E.T. PEPPER. J. PHILLIMORE. W.H.PHILLIPS. H. PINCHES. J. PINDER. J. POULSON. E. PRESTON. A. PRICE. A. RAMSEY.F. RAMSEY. W. REED. T.J. REYNOLDS. G. ROBERTS. H. ROBINS. E. ROBINSON.A.V. H.ROLFE. C.E. ROSE. R. ROTHERY. J.S ROWLAND.F.D. ROWNSLEY.R. SALES. P.O. SALKELD. J. SAMUEL. A SCALES. W. SEVERN. J. SHAW. G.E. SHAW. J.SHAW. W. SHERIDAN. H. SKIRROW.W SMITH. A. SMITH. J. SMITH.J.T. SMITH.T._ SMITH. W. STABLES. P. STEAD. H. STEAD. N. STEAD. W. STOCKS. W. STRAW. G. STREET. R. SYKES. R.G. TATTON. R. THOMPSON. F. THORTON. J. TIMMINS. J. TINGLE. G. TREHLWEY TRUELOVE. G. TRUELOVE. R.V.VENABLES. J. VICKERS. J. WADDINGTON. W.WAGSTAFF. J.J. WA ? .A. WALKER. M.I. WARDWARD. T. WATSON. M.F. WEBB. T. WESLEY. W.H. WHARTON. T. WHITE. G.G. WHITE. Wr. WHITE. Wd. WHITEHEAD. I. WHITEHEAD. W. WHITHAM. C. WHITHAM. F.S. WILLS. A. WILLCOCK. M. WORRALL.J. WOOD. R.W. WOODHEAD. H.E.WOODS. R.W.WOODS. H.E. WOOLRIDGE. W.R.WRIGHT. W. • WRIGHT. E. THOMPSON. C.H.E. ADAMS MARR,J
1939 - 1945
T.A. ANDREWS R. ATKINS D.B. BARNETT A. BATTY .
G.H.BEEVERS H. BIGGINSR. BIGGINS B.BISBY A. BLAKEMORE F BOYES C.BRADSHAW S.
BRAMHILL J. BRAYSHAW E. BREEZE S. BRIGGS H.W. CALLERDINE J. GASEY H. CHAPPELL H.
CHARLESWORTH P. CLARKSON W. CLEMITSHAW E.CLIFF H.E. CLOTHIER W.A. CUSA W.J.
CUTTS A.DAINES C.W. DARWIN E.E. DOORMAN H. DRYDEN A.J. EASTWICK D.J. FALLON D.
FLETCHER G.G. FLINDERS G.T.FORD J. GODDARD L.R. GOFF A. GRIFFIN W.H. GRINT P.
HAMMOND F. HARRISON E. HIBBERT S. HODGKINSON J. HOULBROOK J. HOWSON J. HULSE A.
JACKSON A. JONES J.E.JORDON F.W. KIRBY W.E. LAKE H.S. LAMBERT W. LLEWELLYN J.A.
LYNCH R. MacDERMOTT J.W. MAWREY J.S.MORLEY J. OLIVER J. OVEREND W. PERKINS D.
PHILLIPS H. PLATT G.K. POPPLE S. PRINCE A.C. RHODES G.F. RICHARDSON T. RIDLEY I.
SALE C. SEAGROVE J.SEVERN H.SHAW W. SLATER H. SPENCER W.A. STAPLEY E.W. ?
F.WADDINGTON WATSON S. WEBB K. WHALEY J. WHEELER C.G.W. WHITEHEAD W. WHITBAY R.
WILBY ?. WRAITH